At our November 2016 Green Nosh Pot Luck Happening, we experienced a feast. From appetizers to desserts, the food dishes were beyond delicious. And, oh, yes, they were healthy, too! How's that for a winning combo? - eye pleasing, great taste, and healthy! This recipe, compliments of Hilary, serves 8. Original recipe is from "Vegan Cooking for Carnivores" by Roberto Martin.
- 3 lbs apples, peeled or not
- 1 -2 cups cranberries
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup organic, unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed, organic brown sugar
- 3 T cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 12 T (1 1/2 sticks) vegan butter, diced small and placed in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375.
Preparing the Filling:
- Sprinkle the apples with the cornstarch and toss will well coated.
- Pour the apples and cranberries into a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the agave and vanilla and stir till liquid is simmering and thick.
- Remove the apples from the heat and set aside.
Preparing the Topping:
- Place all the ingredients for the topping into a 1 gallon plastic, freezer ziplock bag. Break up the butter with your fingers, then smash and shake the bag until the mixture is crumbly.
Preparing the Crisp:
- Place the apple mixture in a lightly greased 9x9 baking dish. Make sure all the liquid from the saute pan is mixed in well.
- Cover the apple mixture with the crumb topping.
- Bake for about 40 minutes till bubbling and the top is firm and brown.