This recipe adapted from Dr. Joel Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" cookbook.
Serves 6 - 8
- 16 oz. tempeh, sliced on diagonal as thinly as possible
- 1 lb shitake mushrooms and 1 lb portobello mushrooms
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T fresh basil, chopped
- 2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium veggie broth
- 4 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsps low-sodium soy sauce
- optional: pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios
- 6 T cornmeal
- 3 T nutritional yeast
- 2 tsps onion powder
- 2 tsps garlic powder
Place the diagonally sliced tempeh in water, cover, bring to light boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine marinade ingredients. Remove tempeh from water, drain, and marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
When ready to cook: Preheat oven to 375:
Finely chop pistachios in processor. Add other crust ingredients and mix all well. Place ingredients in large bowl. Remove tempeh from marinade and drain. Reserve the marinade. Dip tempeh in crust mixture to coat.
Place tempeh and sliced mushrooms next to each other in a large rimmed baking sheet. Spoon 4-5 T of marinade over the mushrooms. Bake for 13 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Turn occasionally.
Simmer remaining marinade for 2 minutes. Drizzle tempeh and mushrooms with the heated marinade before serving.