- 4 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into halves
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 T fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained and half coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup non-dairy Parmesan cheese or use nutritional yeast
Hollow out zucchini with sharp knife, leaving 1/4 inch shells, and reserve the shells. Chop the zucchini flesh that has been cut out.
In large skillet saute the chopped zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and garlic in a smidgeon of oil until crisp tender, about 8 minutes. Add the tomato and basil, and saute until tomato is wilted and mixture is fairly dry, about 5 minutes. Add chickpeas to the side of the skillet. Add the mashed chickpeas and remaining whole chickpeas to the mix. Add 2 T of non-dairy cheese into the zucchini mixture.
Spoon mixture into the zucchini shells. Sprinkle with remaining non-dairy cheese. Grill, covered, over medium hot coals until zucchini shells are crisp tender when pierced with a sharp knife. About 10-15 minutes.
This dish makes 4 main-dish servings or 8 side-dish servings.