From Dr. Michael Greger's "How Not to Die Cookbook"
- 1 1/4 cups raw unsalted pumpkin seeds (loaded with zinc)
- 3 garlic cloves (roasted)
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 (15 oz can) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp minced jalapeno pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1 T tahini or almond butter
- 2 T blended lemon peel
- 1 1/2 tsps white miso paste
- 1 tsp Savory Spice Blend (see note)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 T minced fresh cilantro
- assorted veggies for dipping
Preheat oven to 250. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread pumpkin seeds on baking sheet and toast for 15-18 minutes, or until they begin to lightly brown. Check often and stir to prevent burning. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
When cool, place seeds in foods processor. Add the roasted garlic, beans, jalapeno, tahini, lemon, miso, Savory spices, paprika and 3 T water. Process till very smooth.
Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with cilantro, if desired. Serve with either cut up veggies or healthy crackers.
Savory Spice Blend - easy to prepare and keep on hand. Recipe is under condiments.