This recipe adapted from Dr. John McDougall's FREE website. Must say, these are my all time favorite, and folks love them. They are fluffy, tasty, and healthy!
This recipe makes about 12 pancakes.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- dash salt (optional)
- 1 T ground flax
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- orange zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas, depending on size)
- 1 T egg replacer mixed in 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 T orange juice
- 1 T chopped pureed stewed prunes
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I use either almond or soy for this recipe.)
- 1/2 cup sparkling water (I use whatever seltzer drink I have on hand - flavor doesn't matter!)
- 1/3 cup or more of fresh or frozen blueberries
Mix the dry ingredients in large bowl: flour, baking powder, salt, flax, cinnamon, and orange rind.
Mix the egg replacer in the warm water until frothy. Set aside.
Chop the banana well in food processor. Add the egg replacer mix, the orange juice, chopped stewed prune, seltzer water, and non-dairy milk. Blend well in processor.
Add liquid from processor to dry ingredients and stir till combined. Fold in the blueberries.
Heat a non-stick griddle on medium heat till warm. Pour batter by 1/4 cup measuring cup onto the griddle. Cook till nicely browned on both sides.
Note: When you use the egg replacer with water, mix well first and let it sit aside to thicken while you prepare other ingredients. I use a good whisk to do the mixing!