When my mother retired after 35 years working for the Telephone Company, she became a big fan of the Galloping Gourmet television show. This recipe came from his how. You guessed it! It's been dairy and egg-free adapted.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, organic
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy margarine
- 1 T ground flax mixed with 3 T warm water (let sit and gel, makes 1 egg)
- 1/2 cup either soy, or unsweetened almond milk
- about 8-10 small dark plums
Preheat oven to 375.
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup of sugar in large bowl. Cut in the non-dairy margarine with pastry blender until crumbly.
Stir in the ground flax egg replacer and non-dairy milk until moist. Spread the mixture evenly in a lightly greased 9x9 baking pan.
Cut the plums in thin slices and arrange the slices on top of the batter.
Topping: Mix the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle over the plums and drizzle the topping with 3 T melted non-dairy margarine.
Bake for 35 minutes till toothpick inserted in center is clean.