Thanks to Nava Atlas from www.vegkitchen.com for giving permission to share her recipe.
- 2 T arrowroot or organic cornstarch
- 2 T reduced sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 T orange zest (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1 T rice vinegar or other mild white vinegar
- 2 tsps dark sesame oil
- 2 tsps grated fresh ginger, or more, to taste
- 2 T veggie broth or tamari
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large broccoli crowns, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 8 oz package baked tofu, cut into short narrow strips
- freshly ground black pepper and extra soy sauce to taste, optional
- 1/4 cup toasted cashew pieces, or more as desired, optional
Combine the arrowroot/cornstarch with 1/4 cup water in a small mixing bowl and stir to dissolve. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients, then set aside until needed. Heat veggie broth or tamari in stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and cook over low heat for 1 - 2 minutes, or until golden. Be careful not to burn.
Add the broccoli and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook over medium heat until broccoli turns bright green and tender crisp, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the bell pepper and tofu, turn the heat up to high, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the sauce and cook just until it has thickened and everything is well heated through. Season with extra soy sauce to taste, and plenty of pepper.