This fabulous dish is from the famous"Forks Over Knives" cookbook.
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 pound small portobello or button mushrooms, thinly slices
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 T thyme, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dry white wine
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 batch No-Cheese Sauce (below)
- 1 pound whole grain pasta, cooked, drained and kept warm
Place onions and mushrooms in a large saucepan an saute over medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Add water 1-2 T at a time to keep the onions from sticking to the pan. Add the garlic, thyme, and nutmeg and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the wine and lemon zest and juice, and simmer until the liquid is reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the No-Cheese sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Toss with the cooked pasta.
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 T cashews, toasted, optional
- 1 T tahini, optional
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order given and puree until smooth and creamy, adding up to 1/2 cup water if necessary to achieve a smooth consistency.