This from Rosane Oliveira, DVD, PhD. UC Davis, with a few extra ingredients from your yours truly......
This batter makes 6 waffles.
- 1 3/4 cups non-dairy milk (I used plain, unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or use a gluten free flour instead)
- 1/3 cup sucanat (I used date palm sugar)
- 1 T cornstarch
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- zest from one orange
Preheat waffle griddle.
Mix the non-dairy milk and vanilla extract into a large bowl. Add the flour, date palm sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange rind. Stir until well combined.
Pour batter onto griddle and cook according to appliance directions.
* Can also add blueberries to waffle batter!!