This recipe is adapted from two different Vegan French Toast Casserole recipes. Class participants rated it as delicious.
Custard ingredients: (adapted from: avirtualvegan.com)
- 2 cups canned light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used light.)
- 3/4 cup silken tofu (I used the aseptic box of silken tofu.)
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tsps cinnamon
- 2 T pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 2 T vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 lb loaf of whole grain sourdough bread (Do not use white or softer bread; you'll wind up with mush. Need a hearty loaf.)
Topping (from: jessicainthekitchen.com)
- 7 T almond or spelt flour (I used spelt.)
- 3 T maple syrup
- 1/2 T melted Earth Balance margarine
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
In a high speed blender (like a Vita Mixer) add the coconut milk, sugar, silken tofu, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla, turmeric, a salt, and vegan butter and blend until very smooth.
Cut the sourdough bread into one inch cubes and place in an ovenproof baking dish. (I used 9 x 13 baking dish.)
Pour the blended custard over the bread cubes, and be sure to coat each bread cube.
(DO NOT add topping until just ready to bake.)
At this point you can either refrigerate casserole overnight and put topping on in a.m. before baking. Or you can let the custard sit on bread for 30 minutes before adding topping and then bake right away.
When ready to add the topping, place ingredients in small bowl and mix well.
Preheat oven to 350. Place topping across bread in baking pan and bake for 35 - 40 minutes until the bread cubes are golden brown and cooked.
Serve with either maple syrup or a fruit compote.
This is nice to serve with company or an afternoon brunch. So good!!