In 1977 after a year of living in Reisterstown, Maryland, friends gave us a farewell party before our move to Massachusetts. This dish was served and over the years it became a regular party dish for my friends and family. Yours truly made some changes so it's much healthier than the bacon laced original. Hope you enjoy this fiber/protein rich dish.
- 8 slices tempeh bacon, browned well, chopped and return to fly pan, heat off.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2-4 onions, medium size, chopped
- pinch salt
- 2 cans butter beans, drained
- 1 can green lima beans (can use frozen limas), drained
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 2 (1 lb) cans vegetarian baked beans, undrained
Add the onions, sugar, salt, mustard and vinegar to the diced tempeh. Stir, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Put beans into a large casserole, stir in the tempeh/onion mixture. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
This dish may be frozen and then reheated on top of stove or in oven.